Skip to main content

The Importance of Taking a Vacation

Happy August!  It is hard to believe that summer has come to an end and schools are back in session. The lazy days of summer have become a thing of the past! As some of my close friends and clients know, I take some time off each summer to get away. While I’m not in the office, I do not stop working.  I use this time away from the office to focus on my girls as well as the development and continual growth of our business. It gives me a chance to reflect on the year to date- challenges, successes, failures and think about things in a different way.  I believe that if you are not changing, you become stagnant.
This year was the first time in 8 years since starting the company that I was truly at peace with getting away.  In years past, I would worry constantly about whether things would get done and check in frequently to make sure they were getting done correctly.  This year was different and I think a large part of why it was different was because I knew I needed it.  I needed to recharge my battery.  The first of 2015 was a challenge. Lower fuel prices, large layoffs and companies being relocated dissipated a sense of fear among businesses to hire and grow.  However, I knew that there was really nothing I could control and this brought some peace. We made some changes internally and kept fighting the good fight.
During my time away, I felt truly grateful and subsequently pushed my team to make sure they were taking time themselves.  Did you know that the United States is one of very few countries in the world that does not guarantee paid vacation time? In fact, 1 in 4 Americans don’t receive paid time off. For those of you who like numbers that is about 26 million Americans who cannot take vacation- and that is truly sad.   I certainly don’t have all the answers to the challenges that businesses and employees face but not taking vacation can make you overworked and less productive.
Alertness Solutions Researcher, Mark Rosekine, states that vacations can increase performance rates by 80%.  In addition, those he studied who took a vacation were more productive by 40% compared to before they left.  However, close to half of Americans skip out on their allotted vacation time or refuse to use it at all.  Call it fear of being fired or trying to climb the corporate ladder, many employees shy away from paid vacation because they don’t want to miss out on important discussions or lose their seat at the power table.
I know I speak as the owner of the company, but I can say that our July was by far the best July we have had since starting the company.  I let things go and let my team handle it and they rose to the challenges and stepped up to the power table and did things better than I could have ever expected.  I love what I do but also love time away from work related tasks. This does not make me less dedicated to my business.  If anything, it has made me realize the importance of work/life balance and how when you strike it just right you light a pretty bright candle as opposed to burning it at both ends.

With summer nearing an end and Labor Day weekend around the corner I would urge those of you who have not taken time off to do so.  You might find that not only you but your family, friends and co-workers benefit from it as well.  Should you have any hiring needs from the growth you might see from such vacation please remember to call us at 918-551-PROS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Accountability  “A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.” -Thomas Paine Accountability and humility are traits that one might not see as such a tenacious asset to have in the workplace.  More and more we hear of a "collective narcissism" sweeping the business world. Some say they are not surprised at this trend, and point fingers at a mainstream culture that supports unrealistic expectations, cutthroat competition, materialism, and self obsession.  I am sure we all have worked in organizations where the daily practices of dishonesty, blame-shifting, and gaslighting are an accepted artform, and clients are treated like commodities.  Whatever the cause of what seems to be an uprising in a culture of blame-shifting and un-accountability.. The house of cards is destined to crumble.  Fostering a Culture of Accountability  Though it seems like an extremely loft...

Strengths Finder

“Hide not your talents.  They for use were made.  What’s a sundial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin Happy February!  I hope that your year is off to a great start.  This month I am going to talk about staff development.  Having a diverse but solid team is so vital for the success of a small business.  However, you cannot take a one size fits all approach to managing a team. Oftentimes business owners or hiring managers fail to realize this and subsequently they drive away great talent.  At the end of last year my team participated in the StrengthsFinder survey from the popular book by Tim Rath.  It was a fun exercise for all of us and I think, speaking on behalf of the whole team, we all learned more about ourselves and our team members by going through it.  We also learned the common strengths that bind us all together.  To that end, it was an invaluable exercise for me and my management team to go through because we became more ...
July Eyes on the Prize How do we keep our focus on our work in the sultry summer months full of celebrations, graduations, weddings, reunions, and vacations? As we are well aware of, many of us lose our focus on our work during the summer months. Recently, our office was gifted with an extra day off to celebrate the 4th of July Holiday, only to return to a lot of scattered co-workers and clients playing what seems to be a perpetual "catch up". What are some ways to stay focused on your business/your work during the summer? What are some ways to efficiently manage the growing list of duties to catch up on? 1. Plan out Your Day: It is a must to set daily goals and prioritize them in order of importance. In the evening, not only is it extremely helpful to set out your clothes, prepare your food, but it is also psychologically helpful to go over your calendar to ease your mind and produce better sleep resulting in a more productive and focused day. Whether you have a pl...