Skip to main content

Goals vs. Resolutions

Happy 2016!  First and foremost, I hope that this year is off to a great start, both personally and professionally.  To kick off the year, I want to talk about the importance of setting goals.  You might ask yourself why setting goals is so important.  My mentor educated me on this just a few years ago.  He said that without goals, you become like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere, and no one wants to work for, invest in, or be part of a company that is simply spinning its wheels.  This analogy gave me the incentive to create goals and move forward.

In years past, I would set New Year’s resolutions.  To be honest, they would hold for about the first month or two and then wither away, until the next year—kind of like a business plan that is written, printed, and then tucked away to collect dust.  However, about three years ago, that all changed for me.  I was tired of setting resolutions and not sticking to them.  So I set out to change this which, in retrospect, was resolution #1!

The first thing I did was change the word resolution to goal.  Being a competitive person, I like the word goal.  It worked better for me than resolution.  The second thing I did was list out everything that I wanted to accomplish personally and professionally.  I then studied this list and thought about what was realistic and what might take a few years to accomplish.  I realized while doing this exercise that I needed to select a few “slam dunks” because success gives me the fuel I need to keep fighting the good fight.  The harder goals take more dedication, perseverance, mental stamina, and energy.  Based on knowing this, I selected five to eight goals for the year, and equally split them between the “easily attainable” and the “in it for the long haul.”  The next step was to make it public by writing it down for myself and everyone around me to see.  I have learned that when I don’t put it out there, the accountability factor disappears. By making it public, you also enlist a natural support group of colleagues, family, and friends to help you achieve your goals. Putting it out there also keeps you from forgetting them, which in years past was my main reason for failure.


I would encourage you all to take the time to set goals for yourselves.  We all need to encourage each other to improve, grow, and be better people.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Accountability  “A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.” -Thomas Paine Accountability and humility are traits that one might not see as such a tenacious asset to have in the workplace.  More and more we hear of a "collective narcissism" sweeping the business world. Some say they are not surprised at this trend, and point fingers at a mainstream culture that supports unrealistic expectations, cutthroat competition, materialism, and self obsession.  I am sure we all have worked in organizations where the daily practices of dishonesty, blame-shifting, and gaslighting are an accepted artform, and clients are treated like commodities.  Whatever the cause of what seems to be an uprising in a culture of blame-shifting and un-accountability.. The house of cards is destined to crumble.  Fostering a Culture of Accountability  Though it seems like an extremely loft...

Strengths Finder

“Hide not your talents.  They for use were made.  What’s a sundial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin Happy February!  I hope that your year is off to a great start.  This month I am going to talk about staff development.  Having a diverse but solid team is so vital for the success of a small business.  However, you cannot take a one size fits all approach to managing a team. Oftentimes business owners or hiring managers fail to realize this and subsequently they drive away great talent.  At the end of last year my team participated in the StrengthsFinder survey from the popular book by Tim Rath.  It was a fun exercise for all of us and I think, speaking on behalf of the whole team, we all learned more about ourselves and our team members by going through it.  We also learned the common strengths that bind us all together.  To that end, it was an invaluable exercise for me and my management team to go through because we became more ...

The Difference Between Setting Goals vs Systems

Happy 2019!   First and foremost, I hope that this year is off to a great start and that it is a wonderful year for you both personally and professionally.   To kick off the year, I want to talk about the importance of setting goals.   You might ask yourself why it is so important to have goals.   My mentor educated me on this just a few years ago.   He said that without goals, you become like a hamster on a wheel going nowhere, and no one wants to work for, invest in, or be part of a company that is simply spinning its wheels.   This was a very influential visual for me and enough to give me the incentive to create goals and always be moving forward. In years past, I would set New Year’s resolutions.   To be honest, they would hold for about the first month or two and then wither away and not thought of again until the next year - kind of like a business plan that is written, printed, and then tucked away to collect dust.   However, abo...