Skip to main content

Do you have to love your work to be successful?


Do you have to love your work to be successful?

Happy February, since this is the month of love, I wanted to discuss a topic that I frequently discuss with job seekers and employers.  When I grew up my father used to tell me if you do what you love then the money will come.  However, I struggled with this personally.  My first job out of colleague was with a large oil and gas company.  In my 20’s I made a lot of money, had fun and learned a ton but I didn’t love it.  When 2001 hit I looked long and hard at my work and decide to make a change.  I had been with my employer for 8 years and it seemed like a good time to make a move.  I took a leap of faith and shifted industries, moved to DC and inserted myself in a brand-new space.  I loved my colleagues, and again, I learned a ton from my work in DC but I did not love it- specifically the 90% travel and crappy airport cuisine.  Since those days I have worked for 1 other company and then owned my own business. 

Do I love what I do now?  Some days I do, and some days I don’t.  There are times that I struggle with this.  I think,  “life is so short, I should only focus on doing what I love”.  But is this realistic?  And, is it even healthy or possible?  In the 11 years I have been in HR and recruiting I have found that most people don’t “love” their work.  Many like it, some accept it for what it is, but there are few people that find work that they love and have a lifestyle they are happy with. 

We all work to fund the lifestyles we want or need. The choices we make are individual – do our  children do a bunch of extracurricular activities (cost money), do we buy expensive cars or clothes, do we eat out.  These are all lifestyle choices and work helps fund them.  So, do we have to chose work that funds our lifestyle versus doing what we love?

I believe you can and should find enjoyment with the work you do.  Doing so is good for your health, it increases your chances of financial success (negative Nancy’s rarely get promotions).  But that does not mean you have to love or even like your overall job.  What’s important is to distinguish between the job and the way you do it.  Every job has elements that you don’t enjoy or that are unpleasant but having a good attitude, a smile on your face and a commitment to do the best you can do, can mean the difference between job enjoyment and job dislike. 

When I was in DC, I hated the travel, but each time I got on a flight I put a smile on my face, I gave myself a pep talk and subsequently landed some huge contracts and met some super cool people along the way.  At times my job literally made me sick (airports and hotels are disgusting and an access pool of germs) yet I was proud of the way I did my job.  I gave it my best and that made me happy and ultimately made me love my work.  It wasn’t the job it was the way I did it.
So, if you are struggling with not loving your job,  give yourself a break.  You are not alone.  However, if you focus on doing your job well, putting your best effort into each day, and giving it your absolute best, I guarantee you will feel love if not for your job but for yourself! 

For career help, advice, finding great professionals, you name it, call us!  We would love to help you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Perception

Happy Fall! I love this time of year (except all that ragweed). This month I would like to discuss knowing and promoting your personal brand. I recently gave a key note speech (my first!) called “The Power of Perception”. In my presentation, I discuss the power of perception as well as the importance of being able to recognize and promote one’s personal brand. Perception is reality and your personal brand shapes how people perceive you. It does not take long for others to perceive you in a certain way… but you do have some power to shape that perception. Here are a few tips in doing that: 1.     Don’t assume that your boss, co-workers, or close friends know exactly what you do… and don’t assume that they know exactly what you do. You never know that your weakness could be a friend’s biggest strength unless you ask. Here’s an example: I reached out to a friend of mine to help me with my presentation and when I asked her, she said “Carey, of course I can help with that, I do tha

Strengths Finder

“Hide not your talents.  They for use were made.  What’s a sundial in the shade?” – Benjamin Franklin Happy February!  I hope that your year is off to a great start.  This month I am going to talk about staff development.  Having a diverse but solid team is so vital for the success of a small business.  However, you cannot take a one size fits all approach to managing a team. Oftentimes business owners or hiring managers fail to realize this and subsequently they drive away great talent.  At the end of last year my team participated in the StrengthsFinder survey from the popular book by Tim Rath.  It was a fun exercise for all of us and I think, speaking on behalf of the whole team, we all learned more about ourselves and our team members by going through it.  We also learned the common strengths that bind us all together.  To that end, it was an invaluable exercise for me and my management team to go through because we became more aware of how we need to manage our team. As an ex

Preparing for the First Day on the Job

Happy June.  The month of June is a transition month for many—having graduated in May, they find themselves moving into careers. In light of that, this month I want to share how to make a great first impression to the new hires who join your team. Whenever a transition happens, making a great first impression is vital to an organization! Have you ever arrived for an appointment—at a restaurant, at the doctor’s office, for an interview—and had the feeling like they were not quite ready for you?  This can cause the business to lose a prospective client or potential valuable employee.  So, what can you do as a business owner to welcome and retain the best people? 1. Be prepared. Companies must be prepared. Lack of preparation can communicate a lack of appreciation or welcome. Preparation does not need to be extravagant; even simple things matter, such as having a work space prepared with all the relevant tools (computer, phone, etc.) ready to go, providing business cards, a train